Polar Usability Milestone
Last week we were lucky enough to get on the front page of Hacker News again
which resulted in a lot of new users providing valuable feedback.
I'm going to be focusing on usability in the next few releases (as well as
shipping Polar as a webapp) and I wanted to include the features (and bug fixes)
we're prioritizing in the next couple weeks.
I'll try to update this post as some of these new features come onnline.
First priority (easy)
- ~~ Restore of pagemarks when opening up new documents when resuming and I have to improve performance here.~~
- Tour of the pagemarks as this is important and one of our main selling points.
Ability to edit flashcards inline without having to delete and recreate them.
- Support for area highlights on the sidebar now and storing them in the
datastore as binary screenshots.
- Annotation bar changes for highlighting text: https://github.com/burtonator/polar-bookshelf/issues/651
- Toggle pagemarks visually on/off. For now / key binding and context menu
options but we need to create a menu bar for some of this functionality.
- Button to toggle/the annotation sidebar
- Button to toggle the pagemarks
Automatic resume of position from last time document was opened: https://github.com/burtonator/polar-bookshelf/issues/673
Missing padding in the comment box confusing to users: https://github.com/burtonator/polar-bookshelf/issues/662
Changes to the Tour
The tour has proven very valuable with
75% 50% of people using Polar completing the
tour on first install.
I want to improve on this by expanding on the tour to highlight more key Polar
- Explain that comments can be rich text and have images
- New sub-tour explaining how to work with Pagemarks or at LEAST a brief
explanation of them via text.
- New sub-tour explaining content capture or at least a auto-triggered tour
the first time the user tries to capture a document.
- New ability to show key "highlights" on the right like that fact that
Polar does not waste disk space due to keeping the file in another place
- Prompt to allow the user to automatically import files from local folders
including Documents, Downloads so that we get them a large number of files in
the repository automatically. I also want to be able to automatically import
from Zotero too if the user has that installed.
- Improved tour for creating annotations explaining how to use text + area
highlights and how to attach comments and flashcards.